Emphasis on outreach programs that have resulted in strong increases in URM applications for undergraduate admissions
- The IDEAL Graduate Recruitment Portal supports faculty and administrators in expanding outreach, admissions, and yield. It provides department-level admissions data, informational resources, and planning tools.
- The Stanford Postdoctoral Recruitment Initiative in Sciences and Medicine (PRISM) Program provides information, professional development, and network building
- The IDEAL Provostial Fellows Program supports the work of early-career researchers who will lead the next generation of scholarship in race and ethnicity
- The IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee is leading the creation of a strategic framework and comprehensive goals and metrics for staff diversity, equity and inclusion
Continue all programs, including those in a hybrid fashion, that have resulted in strong increases in URM populations . These gains have been influenced by a temporary test-optional policy and virtual outreach. The Undergraduate outreach will be a hybrid combination of virtual and in-person outreach in the future.
The IDEAL team provides tools, data, and informational resources to faculty and administrative staff to support planning and programming to improve diversity broadly defined. In 2021:
- IDEAL Graduate Recruitment Portal Update and expand resources (admissions data dashboard, promising practices modules, planning tools) in response to faculty and staff needs identified in workshops and meetings with Early Adopters – ongoing throughout 2021.
- Early Adopters. Continue to meet with department and program committees to discuss their plans; respond to emergent needs; use feedback to improve resources and community-building opportunities; write up memo summarizing key activities and findings – ongoing throughout summer 2021
- Community & Training. Deliver 4-7 workshops for faculty and staff to support dissemination of informational resources, knowledge-sharing, coordination, and effective planning (examples: Strategies for Yield, Planning for Outreach, Planning for Holistic Review. Orientation to the Portal) – approximately 1-2 workshops per quarter
- Liaison with University Leadership. Continue to act as a liaison with various units (e.g., PPO, OGC, IR&DS, Student Affairs) around pertinent matters associated with graduate recruitment for diversity (e.g., reporting and interpreting university admissions data, data sharing, resource needs) – ongoing throughout 2021
Increase PRISM to quarterly, with a goal of 2 in-person (when feasible) and 2 virtual events each year.
Align PRISM to ensure robust recruitment for new fellowship programs (Stanford Science Fellows, Propel, Earth Sciences)
Hire new staff to ensure success of expanded PRISM.
Increase and support the development of highly qualified diverse potential faculty members through the IDEAL Provostial Fellows program. Key milestones:
Develop and implement a university-wide Faculty Applicant Tracking System (FATS). Key milestones:
- Winter 2021 - Begin work with vendor, revise policies/practices/documentation to support new system
- Spring and Summer 2021 - Beta test system, train school “Super Users” and develop train-the-trainer model for school rollout, train and support faculty search committees
- Fall 2021 - Use system for faculty searches in AY21-22.
The IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee, established in October 2020, is leading the creation of a strategic framework and comprehensive goals and metrics for staff diversity, equity and inclusion, with a target date of spring 2021 for communicating the framework and goals. The goals provided here are ones that are already underway and are supported by the Advisory Committee as advance efforts aligned to the draft strategic framework.
- Internal Focus – How We Hire
- Leverage internal best practices in recruiting across the university, including guidelines for diverse selection committees, interview protocols, and assessment criteria - Feb. 2021 and ongoing
- Facilitate ongoing awareness and education to support a sustainable diversity mindset among senior leaders, hiring managers, recruiters and HR professionals (see IDEAL Engage, Learning Journey) (i.e., create and deliver training around diversity recruiting, affirmative action, and unconscious bias) – March/April 2021 and ongoing through FY22
- External Focus – Who We Hire
- Create new diversity content for the careers website (e.g., new employee testimonials) – in progress, complete by Sept. 2021
- Expand access to diverse talent through strategic partnerships with networks, colleges, associations, and events – Summer 2021 and ongoing.