Engagement System: Initiatives and Goals
- Completed pilot of new undergraduate DEI training and developed plan for bringing to scale
- CREATEngagement – Development complete of toolkit and website to improve departmental climate for faculty members
- Formed a cross-school/unit team in October 2020 (IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee). Team has analyzed extensive data and drafted a DEI Strategy for Staff. Strategy ready for review by Senior Staff in March 2021
- Developed and implementing diversity training for selection committees for all Grade O and above positions
- Expand training opportunities in the residential setting through broader involvement of staff across Inclusion, Community and Integrative Learning in VPSA
- Align residential learning and COLLEGE first-year curriculum
- Embed IDEAL principles and practices in key student affairs areas to create multiple pathways to DEI education:
- Plan for student organization training by December 2021
- Plan to embed in BEAM by June 2021
- Transfer Certificate in Critical Consciousness and Anti-Oppressive Praxis Program for Graduate Students and Post Docs from SoM to ICIL
- Work with the Graduate Diversity Council to expand graduate DEI learning opportunities/trainings
- Convene Faculty DEI Committees (outside of SOM) once each quarter. Orient them to existing university DEI resources, create opportunities for networking and sharing of ideas and practices across committees.
- Support individual faculty affinity groups
- CREATEngagement – Tools to improve departmental climate for faculty members
- Develop Faculty Anti-Bias Training Resources to be used and implemented by schools as they see fit to meet local needs.
- Engage, support and sustain community building for faculty members
- The IDEAL Staff Advisory Committee, established in October 2020, is leading the creation of a strategic framework and comprehensive goals and metrics for staff diversity, equity and inclusion, with a target date of spring 2021 for communicating the framework and goals. The goals provided here are ones that are already underway and are supported by the Advisory Committee as advance efforts aligned to the draft strategic framework.
- Launch DEI Learning Journey, with first phase focused on leaders and managers; curriculum includes content focused on implicit bias, racial equity, inclusivity, and allyship – March/April 2021 and ongoing through FY22
- Develop HR’s processes and capabilities to address issues of racism and respond to concerns and complaints – Feb. 2021 and ongoing